Search This Blog

March 21, 2006

DESERT WEATHER

Spring is here but like many other places on the globe it doesn't seem normal. Here in Tucson it's cold and even a little damp. Some rain has come recently but it was late and sparse. Although there is snow on the mountaintops it doesn't seem to be nearly enough. It is as if the earth itself is undergoing some form of metamorphosis but not the one we have come to expect with the changing of the seasons.


I've seen several bobcat recently and I'm told that is an unusual thing and their behavior has been unusual as well. Maybe this is all as it must be. Maybe the vast uncertainty in the world today, as more countries obtain nuclear weapons and religious, economic, and political systems vie for diminishing resources is somehow a reflection of forces operating at a deeper level. It often seems that human beings are like skin cells attempting to comprehend the workings of the entire body. I suspect that some greater form of understanding can come from opening to nature telepathically rather than via the intellect.

But the mountains are still comforting with the promise of water contained in the snow. The desert plants seem a bit revived from the recent rain. Gentle breezes have been blowing the last few days. It is still a place that I love and that speaks to me. And I think I should try to appreciate that for as long as I can.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dave. Jim here. I've finally made it to your site. Very impressive! Regarding "Desert Weather," should you have identified it as Tucson, or at least Southern AZ? I like the promise of water from the mountain snow, like the gods allocating blessings -- or like trickle-down economics? In any case, I look forward to reading the rest of you new stuff. JIm